Scuttles can be made from the following materials:
• A36 mild (carbon) steel with these finishes:
• Grade 5000 series Aluminum
• 304 Stainless Steel
• 316 Stainless Steel
Scuttle cover features: (any material)
• 5/16” thick (for ABS Grade) or thicker if needed
• OPTIONAL: Scuttle cover can be insulated with a 2” thick layer of ceramic fiber or mineral wool, or fiberglass insulation behind a 10ga panel of sheet metal
• Ceramic fiber or mineral wool are great for insulating for heat
• Fiberglass insulation is great for insulating for heat or cold
• 1/2” thick = Steel, Aluminum, or Stainless Steel
• Minimum coaming height: 6”
• 7/8” diameter x 5-1/2” long; Manganese Bronze; 6” wide wing nuts
• Drop bolts also made from 304 Stainless Steel, with 316 Stainless wing nuts
• Eye of drop bolt protrudes 2-1/2” from outside face of coaming
• Minimum clearance required between bulkhead and outside face of coaming is 5” to allow wing nut to rotate fully.
• 30 +/- 5 Durometer extruded neoprene, 3/4” x 1-1/4”•
ABS Type Approval / Classing Agency Approval:
• All scuttles are built to standards generally accepted by ABS, USCG, and other classing agencies. See link to ABS Explanation
• Scuttles do NOT carry ABS “Type” approval. For further explanation, click here.
• Drawings and release letters are available for submission for classing agency review.
• It is the responsibility of the customer to verify which certification requirements (i.e. ABS, USCG, DNV, SOLAS) apply to their vessel, and to check with their local governing agency as to the requirements for certifications for all of the items quoted, based on the use for each item on the vessel, and the location of each item as installed on the vessel. Depending on the requirements of the governing agency, additional testing at the manufacturing plant may be required. A separate fee will be charged for any testing.
• Scuttles conform to C-class fire rating - they are made of non-combustible materials, however, they are NOT designed or certified to resist the passage of fire from one space to another.