Manholes can be made from the following materials:
• A36 mild (carbon) steel with these finishes:
• 304 Stainless Steel
• 316 Stainless Steel
Manhole cover: (any material)
• 3/8” thick = ABS Grade (standard thickness)
• Can get a thicker cover if needed
• Cover comes with a fold-down handle
Deck ring dimensions:
• 3/4” thick = Steel, or Stainless Steel
• Standard width: 3”
Standard clear opening sizes:
• 15” x 23”
• 18” x 24”
• Width of manhole clear opening divided by 2
• Example of measurements for 18” wide by 24” long hatch:
• Standard: plated bolts, washers, and nuts
• Optional (for additional cost): stainless steel bolts and washers, with brass or bronze nuts
• 1/8” thick flat gasket with 20 holes
• Available in Neoprene or Buna-N
• NPT plugs installed in cover
• Custom clear-opening sizes
ABS Type Approval / Classing Agency Approval:
• All manholes are built to standards generally accepted by ABS, USCG, and other classing agencies. See link to ABS Explanation
• Manholes do NOT carry ABS “Type” approval. For further explanation, click here.
• Drawings and release letters are available for submission for classing agency review.
• It is the responsibility of the customer to verify which certification requirements (i.e. ABS, USCG, DNV, SOLAS) apply to their vessel, and to check with their local governing agency as to the requirements for certifications for all of the items quoted, based on the use for each item on the vessel, and the location of each item as installed on the vessel. Depending on the requirements of the governing agency, additional testing at the manufacturing plant may be required. A separate fee will be charged for any testing.
• Manholes conform to C-class fire rating - they are made of non-combustible materials, however, they are NOT designed or certified to resist the passage of fire from one space to another.